Top Tennis Stars Push for Grand Slam Prize Money Hike in Player-Backed Letter

The letter, revealed by L’Équipe, was addressed to the organizers of the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open, urging a greater share of tournament profits for players.

Charleston, USA— A letter reportedly signed by the world’s top 20 male and female tennis players demanding a significant increase in Grand Slam prize money has been described as a “really positive” move for the sport by Chinese star Zheng Qinwen. French sports daily L’Équipe reported Wednesday that leading players had jointly sent the letter to organizers of the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open, calling for a “substantial increase” in prize money. The letter also emphasized a fairer redistribution of tournament profits to support the players — described as the “main stakeholders” of the Grand Slam events.

The initiative has sparked widespread discussion within the sport. Speaking at the Charleston Open on Thursday, Zheng, currently ranked world No. 8, expressed strong support for the proposal.

Also Read: Russell Brand Denies Rape and Assault Allegations Ahead of May Court Appearance

“I think that’s going to benefit all players, not just the top ones,” she said. “Especially for those who work hard all year, rely on the Grand Slams for income, and need financial support to build a strong team around them.”

Zheng revealed that the idea for the collective letter emerged during a conversation with former world No. 1 Victoria Azarenka. “At first, I thought it would be tough to make it happen. But then I spoke with my manager, and it really seems like a positive move for all the players.”

American No. 11 Emma Navarro, also speaking in Charleston, told Reuters the letter aims to address longstanding concerns over “unfair pay ratios” in tennis. “It’s a good cause to come together as players and make sure we’re getting treated fairly,” she said.

Recent prize pools indicate a rising trend in earnings at major tournaments. The 2024 US Open awarded a record $75 million in total prize money — the most in tennis history — while Wimbledon followed with $65 million. This year’s Australian Open offered approximately $60 million (AUD $96.5 million), a nearly 12% increase from the previous year, and the 2024 French Open had a prize pool of around $59 million (€53.5 million).

The timing of the letter coincides with mounting tensions between players and tennis’s governing bodies. Last month, the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA) filed lawsuits against the ATP, WTA, International Tennis Federation (ITF), and the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), accusing the organizations of monopolizing the sport and disregarding player interests.

The lawsuits allege that tennis’s top governing bodies operate “as a cartel,” limiting players’ rights and influence. In response, both the ATP and WTA pledged to defend their positions vigorously. The ITIA acknowledged awareness of the lawsuits, while the ITF stated it was reviewing the matter and would respond in due course. Organizers of the four Grand Slam tournaments have yet to issue public comments on the letter.

Key Points:

  • Top players demand prize hike: The world’s top 20 male and female tennis players have reportedly co-signed a letter requesting a “substantial increase” in prize money at all four Grand Slam tournaments.
  • Letter sent to Grand Slams: The letter, revealed by L’Équipe, was addressed to the organizers of the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open, urging a greater share of tournament profits for players.
  • Zheng Qinwen backs move: Chinese star Zheng Qinwen called the letter a “really positive” step for the sport, emphasizing its potential benefits for lower-ranked players who depend on Grand Slam earnings.
  • Initiative sparked by Azarenka: Zheng said the idea came after speaking with Belarusian player Victoria Azarenka and discussing the challenges of achieving fairer compensation.
  • Emma Navarro on ‘unfair pay’: American No. 11 Emma Navarro supported the initiative, highlighting the need to address “unfair pay ratios” in professional tennis.
  • Prize money already rising: Recent Grand Slams have increased prize pools — the 2024 US Open offered a record $75 million, Wimbledon $65 million, and this year’s Australian Open nearly $60 million.
  • Tensions with governing bodies: The letter comes amid growing friction between players and tennis authorities. The PTPA has filed lawsuits against the ATP, WTA, ITF, and ITIA, accusing them of monopolistic practices.
  • No comment yet from organizers: Organizers of the four Grand Slams have not yet responded to requests for comment regarding the players’ letter.

Recent News

‘Chessboard Killer’ Claims More Victims in New Confession, Russian Authorities Report

Moscow: Russia's notorious serial killer Alexander Pichushkin, sentenced to life imprisonment in 2007 for 48 murders, has informed investigators of his willingness to confess...

India and UAE to Develop Sri Lanka Energy Hub as Delhi Expands Regional Influence

Colombo/New Delhi: India and the United Arab Emirates have agreed to jointly develop a major energy hub in Sri Lanka, India's Ministry of External...

Fake Heart Surgeon Linked to Seven Deaths at Indian Hospital

In a shocking revelation, a man masquerading as a British cardiologist has been tied to the deaths of at least seven patients at a...

Netanyahu to Meet Trump at White House on Monday Over New Tariffs

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is slated to visit the White House on Monday to discuss recently announced U.S. tariffs with President Donald Trump,...