Australia Cancels Ice Hockey Tournament Amid Security Concerns Over Israeli Team

IHA's official statement emphasized that the decision followed consultations with local police and venues, prioritizing the safety and security of athletes, volunteers, spectators, and participants.

Sydney: Australia’s ice hockey federation, Ice Hockey Australia (IHA), announced on Tuesday that it had canceled a planned international qualifying tournament due to safety and security concerns, with local media reports linking the decision to the participation of the Israeli national team.

Several local outlets cited an internal email from IHA to the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), stating that the tournament, scheduled to take place in Melbourne in April, could not proceed because of concerns surrounding Israel’s involvement. While IHA’s statement did not specifically mention Israel, it emphasized the importance of prioritizing the safety of all involved.

The official statement from IHA explained that the decision was made after consulting with local police and event venues, and stressed the federation’s responsibility to ensure the safety and security of athletes, volunteers, spectators, and other participants. “IHA does not shy away from making this decision with safety at the forefront,” the federation said.

The IIHF did not respond to requests for comment regarding the cancellation.

Also Read | Kim Jong Un’s Latest Missile Test Signals Strengthened Nuclear and Missile Programs

The decision comes amid an uptick in antisemitic incidents in Australia. On Monday, Sydney witnessed antisemitic graffiti scrawled on a car, while last month, an arson attack on a Melbourne synagogue was deemed likely a terrorist act. In response to rising antisemitic and Islamophobic attacks, Australia launched an antisemitism task force to address the growing threat, and some Jewish organizations have called for stronger action.

Also Read | France Reports First Case of New Mpox Clade 1b Variant

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese expressed regret over the tournament’s cancellation but reiterated that the government had taken significant steps to protect Jewish communities in the country. “This is a decision made by Ice Hockey Australia,” he said in an interview with Channel Nine. “We’re addressing in every single way possible these issues because we understand that (antisemitism) is very hurtful for the Jewish community.”

Recent News

Rajinikanth’s ‘Coolie’ Set for August 14 Release, Clash with Hrithik-Jr NTR’s ‘War 2’

Mumbai: It's official! Rajinikanth's much-anticipated film Coolie, directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj, is set to hit the big screens on August 14, 2025. The release...

PM Modi Unveils 21-Point Action Plan to Strengthen BIMSTEC at Bangkok Summit

Thailand: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday unveiled an ambitious 21-point action plan at the sixth BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, setting a roadmap for...

‘I Am Truly Sorry’: Yoon Expresses Regret Over His Removal

Seoul: South Korea’s Constitutional Court has officially upheld the impeachment of President Yoon Suk-yeol, marking a dramatic end to his controversial presidency. The historic...

Is Ranbir Kapoor Set to Make His Hollywood Debut in a James Bond Film Directed by Michael Bay?

Mumbai: Bollywood superstar Ranbir Kapoor might be gearing up for a grand Hollywood debut. According to recent reports, the 'Rockstar' actor is being considered...